Thursday 10 June 2010

Immortality through procrastination? Plus introductions, and all that jazz...

'God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.' ~ Bill Watterson (author of the comic strip Calvin & Hobbes)

This quote always makes me smile, and helps me desperately claw back much needed perspective when things are really, really bad; you know, the days when you just want to run and hide from your to do list, which has become so long it is actually terrifying to look at? No? Perhaps that's just me, after all ... :)

But first things first ... I guess a little introduction is in order. Don't worry - I'll keep it as painless as I can! Got 2 seconds (or a short attention span?!) or 2 minutes? Read on ... and I promise .. I'll be good, and do some 'proper' blog posts as soon as I can.

Got 2 seconds?

- I'm in my early twenties
- I'm blonde
- I'm a PA in an international blue chip company
- I have dual citizenship (UK & Canada)
- I have a long to do list! :)
- RSS me (over at the top left of this page) for when you have more time - go on, make me happy, you know you want to! ;)

Got 2 minutes?

So, I'm a PA. Why on earth do I want a blog?

Well ... I'm pretty darn organised at work, but at home it's a different story. I have papers literally stacked up in my study, no clear space on my desk and it's at the stage where I'm getting late charges on bills because I'm forgetting to pay them (so unnecessary - why do that to myself?!). Clearly, this is madness - especially when coming from the same woman who has a neatly organised filing system, tidy desk and - get this! - actual checklists to ensure I have all my bases covered at work.

So - I hope to figure out what I'm doing differently at work, and become Le Uber Organised Blonde instead of Le Secretly Very Messy Blonde! ... My boyfriend will laugh if he reads this, as he teases me constantly about how messy I am at home! ... If you're reading this: Hey honey! ... and no, this is not to be taken as an admission of any sort! ;)

My other main reason for starting this blog is that my boss just got a major promotion. It's really exciting, and he deserves it, so I'm very happy for him! That may not sound like a logical reason to blog, but bear with me here...

He's just been given half of Europe to look after, so the first priority has to be meeting the people who'll now be reporting to him, and getting more information about the area he's heading up. This means major multi-country travel itineraries, detailed meeting schedules, lots of liaison and building new working relationships. All in the next few weeks. And that's just on my side of things! I feel under pressure to be the 'all-singing all-dancing' PA and work miracles. And - contrary to popular belief at the office! - I don't actually come complete with a magic wand. :)

Of course, my boss has his own work challenges, and pressure to succeed in his new role. As his PA, I represent him to a certain extent, and of course (since it's my job, and also because he's a lovely guy to work for!) I want to support him as best as I can. I want to handle the increased workload really smoothly, and I know I need to step things up a notch to achieve that; and of course, it can't hurt my career to really commit to this, hey?

Anyway, I'll be working from home tomorow so I can really focus and 'clear the decks' - after that, I fully expect to be extremely busy until August! Honestly? I've had a moment or two of panic over this idea (hey, I'm only human! No magic wand, remember?!).

So ... I'm hoping I can organise my life (work and home), rise to the challenges and opportunities I've been given, and somehow - despite having more responsibility - actually feel (and be!) calm and in control. So - any ideas?! :D

Bored now? Want to talk about you instead?

So - enough about me! - how about you?

- Are you a PA, or otherwise employed because you're 'organised'? Are you super efficient, in fact, or do you feel like a fraud?
- Does organisation even matter - or is it just about being productive, cracking on with the task at hand?
- Are you equally organised at home and at work - or are you different? If so, why?
- Do you use any sort of organisational 'system' (I'm thinking of GTD and so on)? If so, does it work for you?
- Anything else you want to tell me?

And of course ... any ideas?! :D

Love to hear from you guys ...

No comments:

Post a Comment